Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Only the Lonely

Well, since it's been a bit over a year as a SAHD I can say that most people are pretty good about keeping their thoughts about our "non-traditional" parenting situation to themselves. At least they don't act like I'm a freak. I am rarely looked upon as something completely foreign. Today though I saw the other side of the fence so-to-speak. I've heard all the other SAHD stories and now I have one of my own.

Today Oda Mae and I went out to do some errands. While we were out I saw an antique mall that I wanted to go into and look around. As I was putting Oda Mae in her stroller I noticed 4 little old ladies coming out. I figured this was pretty typical...Tuesday afternoon, antique mall, who else would you see at a place like this? But the thought actually crossed my mind before I went in that I would probably be an unusual sight in a place like this regardless of the day or time, but we went in hoping to find a treasure.

Now, Oda Mae is VERY good in public. She loves to look at things and hardly ever puts up a fuss so long as we keep moving, so I wasn't worried in the least about her breaking some $20,000.00 piece of rare crystal or something. As we were walking up and down the isles of the store I can say that at least 4 times the employees stared at us as if to say, "Oh, my God. What does that guy think he is doing coming in here with a baby. Why didn't he just take her to the park on his day off." Maybe I'm just being paranoid. But, really, some of the looks I got from these people I've never seen before. Nobody actually said anything, but I could sure tell that they wanted to.

LOSERS!!!!!

Okay, I'm done. I did find a pretty cool table that I wanted, but it was pretty expensive and I don't really know anything about antiques. I think I'll keep shopping the garage sales and thrift stores. Ooo, maybe we'll make a field trip to the thrift store tomorrow.

-OD

P.S. I finally got my pictures to load of my cabinet.... (see below)

2 comments:

Darth Daddy said...

There's only so many of "those" looks you can get before you can't help but put words behind them.

I'm just glad that the smiles I get from people seeing me with my boys outnumber the weird looks.

Anonymous said...

Being the sister of a SAHD I think it is a wonderful thing that you are doing!!!! You know I love you and Oda Mae very much and people need to free their minds of the old fashioned view points. I think what works for one family does not always work for another family. We can not all live the same lives.