Friday, June 30, 2006

Questionable Parenting...

Tonight, I would like to pose two different sets of parents to my readers to see if there is a difference. Is one justified more so than the other?

Here we go...

Parent A: Parent A is seen at 11:00 pm in Wal-Mart checking out with her two children. One child is about 6 years old, the other about 14 months (give or take). Parent A is constantly telling her children (both of whom are standing in the shopping basket) to set down and stop messing with things. The items in the shopping basket consist of bathing suits for the children and dog food. The children get upset when told something they don't want to hear..."you can't have that" or "set down, we're going to the car in a minute". Neither parent or children seem to be having very much fun.

Parent B: Parent B is seen leaving a large outdoor family event at 10:00 pm with one child in tow (about 15 months old). The child is obviously tired, but is not fussy. Parent B and the child were both seen having a good time during the event with the occasional crankiness coming from the child since it was getting late.

Here are my questions. Should both parents have put their children to bed at a reasonable time, say 8 or 9 pm? Was it okay for parent B to keep the child up for a "family friendly" event. Was parent A just being stupid for taking her kids to Wally-World for seemingly unnecessary shopping? You can probably guess my opinion, but I'm curious to hear yours.

-OD

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to see a picture of both families. Hahahahaha. ~gg~

Anonymous said...

Pinch and a punch for the 1st of the month. WOOT!

KC said...

You telling on yourself in one of these? ;)

I've taken my girl to the store late since she was 2. Not often, but usually when I can do it fast and keep her busy and when I know she's had a decent afternoon nap. Same would go for a concert (if I were on top of events around here we'd actually do that!).

I think the parent who went to walmart made an error in judgement. When the kids melted down she should have just bailed and gone home. Swimwear and dogfood? Not a reason to torture the kids. (and, to me it sounds like this person ain't one to impose discipline. Both kids in the basket? Both scream when told "no"?)

The person at the concert apparently has a kid who knows that acting out isn't allowed. That makes a huge difference.

Oda Daddy said...

I want to see a picture of both families.

Trust me, the family with parent B is much cuter. :)

-OD

Peter said...

There aren't too many excuses for anyone to be in a Wal-Mart at 11:00pm, kids or no kids.
You should be at a party having fun. Your kids will love you for it, and remember "The Good Times" had at said party.

Anonymous said...

I think it depends on the kids. If your kids are fussy when you go out at night then don't stay out late. If you get your kids used to an occassional late night out then they will know how to react.

Mike said...

Where you stalking my family at Wal-Mart again?

Oda Daddy said...

"Where you stalking my family at Wal-Mart again?"

Hee, Hee...

-OD