Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Just Practicing...

for October 31! (everybody snap!)





I've often thought about how amazing it is that babies learn so quickly. I've heard that if we continued to learn at the same rate throughout our lives as babies learn during their first year of life that the human race would be unbelievably intelligent. So I was wondering what would happen if I made Oda Mae my little experiment and taught her something that no other "baby" would know? What comes to mind is teaching her that the color blue is green and the color green is blue. Though I think that might be kind of mean. Especially when whe got to kindergarten. All the other little kids would totally make her cry. So I don't want to do anything quite like that. I'll give some thought to my little experiment and let you know what I come up with. If you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to consider them.

-OD

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When my dad was in the service, he told me about a fellow serviceman who was constantly being asked to babysit one of the commanding officer's child. Coincidently, this serviceman did EXACTLY the experiment you're wondering about. Dad said that kid was screwed up for years.

On a similar note, when Andy was a toddler we played a fun game in the car. When we'd come up to a stop light, I'd ask "What does red mean?"
Andy: "Stop!"
Me: "What does green mean?"
Andy: "Go!"
Me: "What does yellow mean?"
Andy: "Hurry up - the light's fixin' to turn red!!"

We played this game for months until one fateful day...
Me: "What does red mean?"
Andy: "Stop!"
Me: "What does green mean?"
Andy: "Go!"
Me: "What does yellow mean?"
Andy: [long pause] "MOMMY says yellow means slow down..."

Busted. That was the end of THAT game. :-)

Anonymous said...

I think you should teach her the Eads dictionary. There are many words, Odamomma can probably remember quite a few of them. If you teach them like real words, they become real words and we then use them with confidence & others around us wonder or better yet go running for their Webster's BEFORE challenging us. :)
Ex: Clo - the singlar of clothes. There's only one clo on the floor.
Ex: Mooshal - the act of moving your feet under the covers in bed until your get everything situated in just the right place, ready for sleep. Quit mooshalin' around in there and go to sleep.

(We'll talk more later... :) ~gm~
(and LOVE the post...)

Anonymous said...

Naw, tell her, "I'M SO MAD, I CAN'T SEE STRAIGHT!!!!!!!" She'll wonder what one has to do with the other.
I did.